Kawaii Dog: Easy Step-by-step Drawing Tutorial
Let’s draw a cute Laika dog with this easy step-by-step tutorial.
Please enjoy it for personal use, and please give me credit and link back to this post if you share it with others.
Drawing & Colouring Tips
- Notice that the head is bigger than the body, for that really cute kawaii look
- Before you start to colour, select your colours and test them on a piece of scrap paper to make sure the colours work together.
- If you are not sure what colours to use, look at a reference image. You can’t possibly “just know” what everything in the world looks like. Good artist know… great artists look it up!
- Colour the light areas first, then add darks. This way if you go outside the lines with the lights, you can just cover it up with the darks. Makes things faster, hehe.
- When colouring with Copics markers, I like to use circular motion so you can’t see the streaks. I don’t know if it’s “the right” way to use alcohol-based markers, but that really works for me.
- I like to get the full strength of colour in the first pass, so I go over and over the area many times to achieve a smooth and even tone. I find this to be better than returning for second or third layer…
What are some of your favourite Copic colouring tips?
Leave a comment below to share your tips. 🙂
Want to draw your own kawaii?
That's exactly how I felt, when I started. I was tired of copying other people's drawings... I wanted to create my own!
After I mastered the art and science of drawing professional kawaii, I created a structured step-by-step course that teaches exactly that. Click the button below to read my story and find out more.
Materials I Used
- Copic Markers
- Caribe Cocoa E25
- Light Suntan E13
- Africano E27
- Baby Skin Pink E21
- Cool Gray C2
- Cool Gray C4
- Neutral Gray N6
- Copic Multiliner pen, black, 0.5mm
- X-Press It blending card (paper)
- Faber-Castell Dust Free Eraser
- Tombow Mono Zero eraser
Here are a few drawings of this kawaii dog from our super active drawing community. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
Share the Love
If you like this tutorial, please share it with your friends using the buttons below. 🙂 It’s so much fun to create together! ♥