Today we’ll draw a kawaii hedgehog step-by-step. What do you think, hedgehog or porcupine?
Kawaii animals are useful for all kinds of craft projects and for drawing with kids. My 2 munchkins LOVE to create adorable creatures, many of them totally imaginary, haha. But that’s the magic of it!
Learn how to draw your OWN kawaii in 21 days, even if you are a complete beginner.
In this blog post, I will share with you a step-by-step tutorial on how to draw an easy and cute hedgehog based on a simple circle shape.
It’s great for practicing drawing circles. And this drawing is so achievable that even a total beginner (or a 5 year old 😄) will get great results and feel good about their drawing.
Step-by-step Tutorial for Kawaii Hedgehog
Here is the step-by-step tutorial for how to draw an easy kawaii hedgehog. We just entered the month of September, which means it’s almost time for Fall crafts, spiced pumpkin chai lattes, and colorful leaves. It’s a beautiful time of the year, so let’s enjoy it and welcome it to our house with this cute drawing.
Please enjoy this tutorial for personal use.
If you decide to share your drawings and projects using this tutorial, please remember to credit the creator (tutorial by Tatyana Deniz) and link back to this page: https://tatyanadeniz.com/how-to-draw-kawaii-hedgehog
And please, share what you draw in our warm and welcoming Facebook Group so we can all enjoy it and cheer you on.
Drawing Tips for Kawaii Hedgehog
- The main shape of this hedgehog character is a perfect circle.
- If you want to create a doodle style drawing, you don’t need to make the circle perfect. Just draw a shape that is kind of circular. It will add charm and handmade feeling to your drawing.
- If you want to create a polished and professional drawing, you can use a cup to outline a perfect circle as a base shape for your drawing.
- Use this circle shape as a guide as you add details (like forehead, belly and legs).
- When you draw the zig-zag line to represent the needles of our hedgehog, follow the outline of the circle to make sure the needles cover the hedgehog evenly. But you don’t need to make all the needs point in the same direction or be symmetrical. Draw a loose zig-zag for a playful and shaggy look. 😆
You can add fun objects for the hedgehog to “carry”. Pin an apple or a mushroom onto his needles.
Hide him under a leaf.
Or draw a cute snail friend who decided to join him in play.
Check out all the adorable hedgehogs by the Kawaiians in our Facebook community!
If you want to see your work featured here too, join our Facebook Group and become part of our supportive kawaii community.
Our Facebook Group
Become a Kawaiian! Join our warm and welcoming Facebook Group to share your drawings and to see what others create.
Each week we have a FREE drawing tutorial in the group. I also do live drawing demos, answer your questions, and offer personalized feedback.
We regularly run drawing challenges and giveaways too! You wouldn’t want to miss out on those.
Join our group, and I will see you there. 😄
If you post on Instagram, please tag me @tatyanadeniz and use hashtag #tatyanadeniz so I can find your work.
Share the Love
If you had fun drawing this hedgehog (porcupine?), please share this tutorial with your friends using the buttons below. The world needs more kawaii!