Stars look so simple, yet they are so hard to draw! Everyone I know (including myself) struggles with drawing stars.
So I made this tutorial as a fun way to practice stars. 🙂
The story goes like this:
Mama-starfish and baby-starfish go out for a walk on the beach. Baby-starfish sees the stars in the sky, and says, “Look mummy, they are stars too!”
This tutorial goes along with my other ocean theme tutorials on how to draw a cute whale and adorable jellyfish. We can even put them together and create a fun scene.
- Start with a regular 5-pointed star.
- Round off each of the points, and make them look “puffy”.
- Add a cute face and some textures.
- Thicken the outlines, erase sketch lines, and add decorations. You can also colour it.
I used Copic markers to colour this drawing. I like Copics, because they produce a flat streak-free tone quickly. And they are relatively easy to use (this is my second time using them).
But Copics do cost a LOT… I only have a few colours, so I will need to decide if I want to invest more $$ into them.
Here is a full list of materials I used for this tutorial. I have no affiliation with these brands. Just sharing what I used and why.
Materials I Used
- Copic Multiliner pen (black, 0.5mm) for the outlines. It dries very quickly and (almost) doesn’t smudge.
- Copic markers to colour
- Yellow Y06
- Buttercup Yellow Y21
- Chrome Orange YR04
- Baby Blue B21
- Square Moleskine sketchbook. The paper in Moleskines is amazing! It can actually handle alcohol-based markers (like Copics) without bleeding through to the next page. But drawing in Moleskines makes me nervous. I keep worrying about messing up. So this is my way of practicing nerve control, haha.
Share the Love
Post your version of these starfish in our private Facebook Community. You might make someone’s day!
And if you find this tutorial useful, please share it with your friends using the buttons below.
Also just wanted t say your drawing a the BEST ‘
Aweee, that’s so sweet! Thank you 🙂
Can you make an axolotl or potato either one I don’t mind
I do have a potato drawing 🙂 Here is the link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CL5CoIRn5Zq/
Hello, this is Meghna. I love your starfish! Can you please make a Tutorial for fish? If you already have one please send it to me!
And did you make this website? can you PLEASE tell me how to make a website as cool as this? Thank you so much!
Yes, I did make this website. 🙂 I am glad you like it! I am using WordPress to create the website, which even has a free version if you want to check it out. I bought a theme for the website, and then made changes to make it my own style.
Cool idea for a fish tutorial! 🙂 I don’t have one yet, but I will consider it. Thank you!
Can you do a kawaii panda.:)
That’s a good idea! Thank you, I will add it to my list to tutorials to make. 🙂
thanks so much Tatyana
[…] Starfish […]